Sunday 17 January 2021

The Big Move


The Big Move

After thirty-five years living virtually in a treetop in Amsterdam South, I've now moved to an apartment that has a wonderful view from the ninth floor over the treetops of the East-side park. It's been a emotional experience, having to say goodbye to a gracious house, built in 1914 near the Concertgebouw, with so many happy and sad memories, where my children grew up and where their mother died. She played in the Concertgebouw, where I also painted live kinetic images to many concerts, so it became our second home.  

                       

The move meant down-sizing, saying farewell to my favourite tree outside the window, to innumerable archives and documents, contracts and proposals for exhibitions and performances worldwide, all written or faxed on paper, many of which were successful and some that sadly never came to fruition. At eighty-seven, I look back nostalgically on a very long career, about which you can read in my blogs at www.normanperryman@blogspot.com.

All went well! I'm now living in an Amsterdam apartment block for retired senior citizens, in a quarter where the streets are named after the colonial Dutch East Indies. My address is Kramatplantsoen, Kramat being a small town in Java with a chequered history, but also the term for the burial-ground of a highly-placed person. Duly noted. I've discovered that it only takes me three minutes to climb the nine flights of stairs. 

Artists don't know the meaning of retirement of course. We have an inner need to create, for as long as we can hold a paintbrush. My studio and commissions await, but after this exhausting process, I first need a little break. Here's the fanfare of colours to which I awoke on my first day. Yes, it was a good move.



––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

14 comments:

  1. Extremely good news Norman. I hope you will be very comfortable there and interrupted only by positive artistic stimuli resulting from your new environment. Love, Clive and Nicky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A view, source of inspiration to the artist you are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eleanor Hope and Benno SchollumJanuary 17, 2021 2:21 pm

    Dear Norman - a new lightness of life awaits you and many new adventures -- the sunrise colours herald that! We send love and admiration - onwards and upwards!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leaving your wonderful home of so many decades and life moments was an amazing feat Norman. Downsizingnis an amazing process and feat. Yes, a break is in order! Cheryl and I hope to visit in October on our way to TZ. Carry on! with live and admiration, Karen ps I just delivered Wesley's fabulous poetraits to her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Norman, It sounds like a journey full of emotion but it has landed you in a place of peace. At least you have your daily 'stair' exercise intact!! It will keep you going until you are 97 - God willing. The view itself will keep you joyous, and happiness is certainly conducive to longevity. Sending lots of love. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW Norman. Always an inspiration. I wish you well in your new pad and I promise if I get to the Dam this year I will catch up with you. Keep painting and the blog going. Big Love. Daz XXX

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best of luck in your new abode, Norman; I hope you'll be very happy there. 35 years -- wow: I've 'only' been in my bungalow 21!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I’m very happy that you are happy in your new home Norman. Having your studio as the pivotal point certainly helps. Yeh, just keep on painting , and keeping your friends in the loop. So looking forward to seeing you again. Take care Norman.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mastering artistic real-time expression along with your capacity for adaptability in meeting tough challenges, appears to be your karma of fulfillment. Keep it up however/ whenever / wherever. Stay healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to hear that those step stairs in your old house kept you fit enough for nine! Looking forward to a daytime view (or first sketches?) of what you see beneath the sky once the sun is up. All the best for this new era at Kramatplantsoen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Norman,
    Sounds like a good move indeed! Wat een prachtig uitzicht heb je vanuit je nieuwe plek, heel veel hemel. En fijn dat je zoveel bijzondere herinneringen aan je vorige huis in je hart koestert Die neemt niemand je af. Liefs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very best wishes for this next chapter from Aiglon College, which I know was such an important chapter in your life and still connects you to so many appreciative friends. Keep creating! Richard

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did it, and you made it (of course!) my friend. Hope to see tyou soon.

    ReplyDelete